We spent about 5 days using all of the knowledge that we acquired building our Vex robot to compete in the robot challenge on the last day. We had most of the core code done by Tuesday afternoon and were able to optimize on Wednesday and a little Thursday morning. The robot was very consistent and even with the air conditioner vent messing with the flame most of the time, it was about to find it’s way out of the maze, find the flame, move to it, blow it out and then give control to Norman to go and get the ball.I’m going to leave the code for the very end of this post because it’s pretty long. Scroll down to the bottom to see the video of the robot going through the contest.
Part 16 took the concepts we learned in some previous labs on the Arduino and had us try them with the Vex robot. The ultrasonic rangefinder is going to be one of the sensors we’ll need to accomplish the Vex project at the end of the class.
Part 14 had us building a simple circuit to test for flame/heat/fire using a phototransistor. Before building the final phototransistor I put together a test using the breadboard. In addition to the breadboard test, I built a little IR emitter circuit that I would be able to use to test since I knew I was going to use this with my hack-a-toy. Here is my phototransistor test circuit. As well as the circuit reading working displaying values using the Arduino.
Part 13 was a variation of some of the work we had done in some of the previous labs. In this lab we got to use a good bit of pre-formatted code to test the operation of an Ultra Sonic or sound wave based sensor. The lab was just getting the sensor to work with some pre-created code. Here is the code I used to test …
For my Hack-A-Toy project I decided to overachieve a little bit knowing that we would be creating a robot to blow out a candle later in class. In my case I took one of a pair of old radio controled sumo’s that I wanted to get to move and find a heat source. Here is a picture of what the toy looked like before I started hacking.
For me this was the missing piece to the platform, being able to do some kind of real-time debugging of values during execution. The Serial. library that comes with the Arduino allows you to interact with it while it’s running, which is great. Besides some of the Serial.print(ln) functions that I showed in quite a bit of the Lab 10 code, this lab work was really focused on getting input through the Serial interface. The code for this exercise is below…. Continue reading “Part 11 – Using the Serial Port”
Part 10 is where we learn to connect the hardware as both inputs and outputs using the code in the micro-controllers. This is the beginning of how to build bigger devices. The first part of Lab 10 is a primer on how to write some simple code to blink and LED connected to the Arduino. The Arduino setup looked like this….
Part 7 was our first try at connecting our hardware circuit with the software based Arduino controller. The lab began with a short explanation of the Arduino and then moved right into building the first controller. The lab itself was pretty simple as all we were required to do is wire up an LED to the Arduino. I took it a little further and decided to control a few LED’s.